Our neighbour had to rush his dog to emergency vet clinic last weekend and good thing he did – Sir Duke almost died. The crazy thing is that he is a young, healthy strapping fella. He got terribly ill from picking up a stick in the park, carrying it home and chewing it in his backyard. The stick was piece of a broken branch from an apple tree. Duke is what I call a stick dog. He’s always got one hanging out the side of his mouth. I think he was a smoker in a past life. Our poor neighbour feels terrible. He did not know all parts of an apple tree is toxic to dogs. I had no idea either. Did you?
Yesterday I took our pets for their annual shots and I mentioned the stick incident to the Veterinarian. She explained most gardens are full of multiple hazards…some of them I knew about…some were a surprise. Since it’s spring and we are all getting dirty in our gardens I thought I would list a few common hazards that might be lurking in your garden.
If you have a young puppy, a dog that loves digging/chewing or you were entrusted to do some pet sitting… keep them away from ingesting:
– All parts of Apple and Cherry Trees are toxic to dogs (stems, leaves and seeds)
– Azaleas and Rhododendrons
– Privet Hedge
– Clematis Vines
– Red Maple Trees (the leaves are toxic)
For a more detailed list and description of symptoms, the American Kennel Club has a helpful sheet outlining many more potential dangers. Not sure what some of these trees and plants look like? You can quickly identify them using a Tree Study website or Better Homes and Gardens plant identification database.
If you have an outdoor cat or your neighbours have outdoor cats that like to visit your yard…be careful…
– Plants in the lily family are toxic like Day Lilies and Lilly of the valley.
– Poisonous spring bulbs include tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, iris and crocus.
– Like dogs, Clematis and Hostas can be deadly as well as a many other common garden plants like Geranium, Ivy, Daisies etc.
For a longer list of poisonous indoor and outdoor plants, here is another helpful Vet information website.
Our little garden is full of dangers to cats and dogs. Yikes. The Vet told me different plants cause different symptoms in pets, from diarrhea, shock, vomiting, weakness, panting, swelling and even death. Try to get medical help quickly if you suspect your pet ingested a poisonous plant.
I hope you have a fun and safe summer with your furry four legged friends!